2018 is another big year for the PlayStation 4 in terms of new game releases with titles such as Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Battlefield V, Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII, Dragon Quest XI Echoes of an Elusive Age, Far Cry 5, Just Cause 4, God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Spider-man, Yakuza 6 and more. 2019 is looking great as well with Anthem, Days Gone, Dreams, Kingdom hearts III, Resident Evil 2, Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 and many other releases coming. With that said, big games like the aforementioned titles will quickly eat up the free space available on the internal hard disk drive on your PS4 and/or PS4 Pro.
If you are looking for a hard drive in order to add more space, either for yourself or a loved one, then you can check out our 2019 Buyer’s Guide for the best available options.
Internal Hard Drive Advantages Over External HDD
The first thing to decide is to whether or not you want an internal or external hard drive compatible with the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro. An internal drive takes up less physical space as opposed to an external one as you simply replace the default HDD that came with the system. Not to mention that, if you want, you will be able to use a Solid State Hybrid Drive. You can check out our list for the best PS4 internal hard drive options to look out in 2019.
Compatible Internal Hard Disk Drives
About of the three types, the regular HDDs are the cheapest when it comes to internal drives. You can check out our recommendations with the following links on Amazon:
- Seagate 2TB Barracuda Internal Hard Drive (Available Size Options: 500 GB, 1 TB, 2 TB, 3 TB, 4 TB and 5 TB)
- Western Digital Blue Hard Drive (Available Size Options: 1 TB and 2 TB)
Compatible Internal Solid State Hybrid Drives
The SSHDs are a balance between affordability in addition to being faster than the standard hard drives (but also slower than the Solid State Drives). You can take a look at the best available option with the link below:
- Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD (Available Size Options: 500 GB, 1 TB and 2 TB)
Compatible Internal Solid State Drives
If you are looking for the fastest loading times, then the SSDs are ideal. You can check out our top choices via the following links:
- Samsung 860 EVO Internal SSD (Available Size Options: 250 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB, 2 TB and 4 TB)
- SanDisk Ultra Solid State Drive (Available Size Options: 250 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB and 2 TB)
- Crucial MX500 Internal SSD (Available Size Options: 250 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB and 2 TB)
External Hard Drive Advantages Over Internal HDD
Of course, you can also opt for a PS4 and PS4 Pro compatible external hard drive. The external storage is easier to install as you simply plug it into the USB port (and AC adapter to your power unit if applicable). Not to mention that transferring your data from your old drive to the new external one won’t be nearly as much of a hassle as going from your old internal drive to the new internal drive. Last but not least, you will be able to get bigger size options with the external options.
There are two types of external HDDs. The desktop version requires an AC Adaptor while the portable version doesn’t (as the drives are powered through the USB connection). As a result, the external desktop HDDs often come with bigger sizes when compared to the external portable HDDs. Furthermore, you can also get an external Solid State Drive if you want the best loading times. You can check out both all of our recommended PS4 external drives on Amazon with the following links:
PS4 Compatible External Desktop Hard Disk Drives
- Seagate Expansion Desktop External Hard Drive (Available Size Options: 2 TB, 3 TB, 4 TB, 5 TB, 6 TB and 8 TB)
- Toshiba Canvio for Desktop External Hard Drive (Available Size Options: 3 TB, 4 TB, 5 TB and 6 TB)
- Western Digital My Book Desktop External Hard Drive (Available Size Options: 3 TB, 4 TB, 6 TB, 8 TB and 10 TB)
PS4 Compatible External Portable Hard Disk Drives
- Seagate Expansion Portable External Hard Drive (Available Size Options: 1 TB, 2 TB and 4 TB)
- Toshiba Canvio Basics Portable Hard Drive (Available Size Options: 500 GB, 1 TB, 2 TB and 3 TB)
- Western Digital Elements Portable External Hard Drive (Available Size Options: 1 TB, 2 TB, 3 TB and 4 TB)
PS4 Compatible External Solid State Drives
- Samsung T5 Portable SSD (Available Size Options: 250 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB and 2 TB)
- SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD (Available Size Options: 250 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB and 2 TB)
- Western Digital My Passport SSD Portable Storage (Available Size Options: 250 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB and 2 TB)
So, if you are planning to buy a compatible hard disk drive for the PlayStation 4 and/or PlayStation 4 Pro in 2019 and beyond, make sure to keep an eye on our recommended internal HDDs, internal SSHDs, internal SSDs, external portable HDDs, external desktop HDDs and external SSD we mentioned in this gifting and shopping guide.
You can also check out our buyer’s guides for other PS4 accessories below: