If you haven’t heard already, Nintendo has launched its Switch Online Service in 2018. As a result, you will need a subscription in order to play most games with others online in 2019 and beyond .
With that said, you won’t be getting the most out of the new services if you are only using the Switch’s Wi-Fi, which is more unreliable and slower when compared to a wired connection. In order to use a LAN connection, you will need to purchase a compatible USB adapter. So what LAN adapters should you purchase for the Nintendo Switch Online Service in 2019? You can find out in our buying guide below.
USB 3.0 LAN adapters for Nintendo Switch
If you want to future proof your Nintendo Switch wired connection, then we recommend getting a USB 3.0 LAN adapter. The new models are faster (with support for 10/100/1000 Mbps) when compared to the 2.0 devices (which only support 10/100 Mbps). Not to mention that the price ranges are similar. We recommend taking a look at the AmazonBasics, Plugable, TRENDnet and UGREEN adapters. If you are interested, you can check them out with the following links on Amazon:
- AmazonBasics USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
- Plugable USB 3.0 to Ethernet Gigabit 10/100/1000 LAN Network Adapter
- TRENDnet USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter
- UGREEN Network Adapter USB 3.0 to Ethernet RJ45 Lan Gigabit Adapter
USB 2.0 LAN adapters for Nintendo Switch
The only caveat when it comes to using USB 3.0 LAN adapters on the Nintendo Switch currently is that the system currently only supports USB 2.0 connections. As a result, the aforementioned USB 3.0 adapters will effectively function as USB 2.0 adapters. Nintendo previously stated that they will add USB 3.0 support to the system’s dock via a firmware update. However, we don’t know when that will happen.
If you are interested in USB 2.0 LAN adapters for the Nintendo Switch, then we suggest the HDE, Hori and UGREEN brands. The Hori adapter is the only one in our guide that has been officially licensed by Nintendo for use with the Switch. You can check out all three with the following links:
- HDE Ethernet Adapter for Nintendo Switch
- Hori Nintendo Switch Wired Internet LAN Adapter
- UGREEN Ethernet Adapter USB 2.0 to 10/100 Network RJ45 LAN Wired Adapter
So, if you are looking for a USB 3.0 of USB 2.0 Switch compatible LAN Adapter for use with the new online service, then make sure you check out our list of recommended products above in 2019.
You can also check out our buyer’s guides for other Switch accessories below:
- Carrying Cases for Nintendo Switch
- Switch Gaming Headsets for Nintendo Switch
- Switch microSDXC Cards for Nintendo Switch
- Switch Power Banks for Nintendo Switch