Although Ubisoft won’t be releasing a new Assassin’s Creed videogame this year, the publisher will be launching the highly anticipated Watch Dogs 2 instead. If you are planning to pick up the open-world game, you have several readily available options. So are the Watch Dogs 2 Standard, Deluxe and Gold Editions worth purchasing? If you are having some difficulties deciding, you can check out our buying guide below for some guidance.
The Standard Edition is the cheapest option available when it comes to buying Watch Dogs 2, followed by the Deluxe Edition of the game. The Gold Edition is the most expensive out of the three. You can check out the current price tags for all three with the following links: Standard Edition, Deluxe Edition and Gold Edition.
About Watch Dogs 2
First, let’s take a look at the sequel. The second game of the series expands on the first one in every way. Character movements, for example, have been improved dramatically as Marcus Holloway, the main protagonist, can pull off parkour move. Furthermore, riding motorcycles and driving cars feels more arcade-like instead of the more realistic approach of the prequel.
Hacking is also returning with more depth as Marcus can cause massive disturbances in addition to smaller hacks such as looking into the smart phone of some one else. Last but not least, Ubisoft built missions in a way that can be approach in multiple manners as you can go in guns blazing, sneaking your way through or anything in between.
So, even if you weren’t impressed with the first game, the sequel looks like it will be a massive improvement.
One element to consider is the Watch Dogs 2 season pass. Ubisoft revealed that this bundle will come with all the DLC packs for the game while also granting early access to missions, weapons and customization items. You can check out the full list of planned downloadable contents below (via the Ubisoft Blog):
- T-Bone Content Bundle – Raymond “T-Bone” Kenney returns in Watch Dogs 2 and he’s brought his tropical trucker-hobo look with him. The T-Bone Bundle includes his truck, his outfit, and Mayhem – a new difficulty level for co-op activities that introduces a new enemy archetype equipped with advanced weaponry. (Available December 13 for PS4)
- Human Conditions – Uncover scandals in San Francisco’s science and medicine industries through several hours of content spread across three new world stories. Additionally, this content unlocks elite co-op missions that feature the Jammer – an enemy that possesses the technology to hunt you down. (Available Spring 2017)
- No Compromise – Marcus takes on the Russian Mafia in a new world story that exposes an even more dangerous side of San Francisco. You can also experience a new co-op mode called Showd0wn where only the best players can survive. (Available Spring 2017)
- Root Access Bundle – Someone claiming to be the Zodiac Killer has returned to the Bay Area, and they’re leaving new messages from Marcus to uncover and decipher. In addition to the Zodiac Killer mission, this bundle includes new outfits, cars, a drone skin, and a new weapon. (Available this Winter)
- Psychedelic Pack – Hippies. San Francisco. A groovy weapon, outfit, drone, and car await. (Available Day One)
You can check out the price tag for the Watch Dogs 2 Season Pass here.
Zodiac Killer Bonus Mission
Furthermore, you should take into consideration the preorder bonus for Watch Dogs 2. The Zodiac Killer bonus mission is based on the infamous 1960s murder cases. Players will have to decipher messages left behind from the killer to the police and news outlets. By beating this DLC mission, you will also get a new outfit for Marcus.So, if you are planning to buy the game at or near launch, you should consider preordering as it comes with the Zodiac Killer bonus mission.
Watch Dogs 2 Standard Edition
The standard edition of Watch Dogs 2 comes with the physical version of the videogame and, if you preordered in advance, the Zodiac Killer Bonus Mission. This is the cheapest option available for those who just want to play the open-world videogame.
Buy the Watch Dogs 2 Standard Edition with this link.
Watch Dogs 2 Deluxe Edition
For a little bit more than the Standard Edition, you will get the Deluxe Edition. This bundle comes with the physical version of the second Watch Dogs installment (plus the Zodiac Killer Bonus Mission if you preorder) in addition to two deluxe packs for the game. These expansion packs come with premium customization items for your character, drones, vehicles, weapons and more.Purchase the Watch Dogs 2 Deluxe Edition via this page.
Watch Dogs 2 Gold Edition
The Gold Edition includes everything from the Standard and Deluxe Edition. Thus, you will get a disc copy of Watch Dogs 2 (along with the Zodiac Killer Bonus Mission if you reserved the software product in advance) as well as the two deluxe packs. Furthermore, the Gold Edition also includes the above-mentioned season pass, which will save you money as opposed to buying the game and pass separately.You can buy the Watch Dogs 2 Gold Edition here.
The Watch Dogs 2 Standard Edition is the cheapest option available if you simply want to play the game. The Deluxe Edition and Gold Edition come with some extras although they are all digital. So, unless you are interested in the deluxe packs and season pass, then you might be better off getting the Standard Edition.
Ubisoft is releasing Watch Dogs 2 for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC on the 15th of November in the North American region.